January 24, 2006

How many cars does one need ?

A few years ago, I happened to read an article about the Tamil
filmstar Sarath Kumar owning 20 cars. My reaction was, this guy
is either nuts or wants to show off or likes a vulgar display of wealth.

Well, now I think differently. Is it wrong to have different cars that
serve different purposes ? Infact, isn't it better to have a car for a
specific purpose, instead of having just one car that is used for all
purposes ? Lets take a guy who owns an SUV, which in most cases
is a fuel guzzler. Since he has only 1 car, he would use it for even
short drives to the grocery shop when a smaller car would have
served the purpose well.

This led me to draw up a list of cars that I would like to own - the
rationale being only their usefulness and not snob value. Most
people, when asked to name their dream car, would invariably
come up with names like Benz, Rolls-Royce, Porche etc. However,
as much as I admire these cars, I never have felt the need to own
one of them.

My dream car list would look like below :
1. A Benz Smart-type car - For city driving for going to office etc.
Can take only max 2 persons with some space for a few bags in
the rear. We do not have such a car in India yet, but I am sure
we will have one soon - priced around 1lac, around 400 - 500 cc
and with fantastic mileage.
P.S. : Please note that I do not want the Benz-Smart itself, bcos it
is too pricey. Given at 1lac, I would surely take it.

2. A Maruti Omni - For weekend outings with 6-7 friends and space
for a few cases of beer, food etc. Or when many relatives drop in at
the same time and one car is not enough to take them out.

3. A WagonR - For outings with the family (wife & kids). Compact,
yet more than enough for 3-4 people.

4. Baleno - Finally a real sedan for those highway drives when you
need speed and power.

That would be a dream line-up of cars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home